Weißenburg Manor
One of Europe's oldest aristocratic residencies
Founded in 1025 AD and first mentioned in 1040 AD
as a residence of Count Palatine of Saxsony Kloster Zscheiplitz is the Europe's oldest continually inhabited aristocratic residence
Archeological data shows, that the first human settlement appeared here in late Neolith, some 10 thousand years ago.

In early 9th century the first wave of the Frankish colonisation has reached Unstrut – by then a Slavonic land, inhabited by peoples with cultural, ethnic and genetic identity similar to that of today's Sorbs and Czechs.

Zscheiplitz was destined to become a central point of Frankish expansion in the area East of Thuringia. Sometime in early 10th century it became a place of permanent residence of the family, which ruled the area on behalf of German Kings and Holy Roman Emperors of the Ottoman dynasty – the counts of Goseck, Counts Palatine of Saxony, a cadet branch of the Wettin dynasty.
Named Weissenburg – White Fortress – the residence remained in the hands of the Goseck family until the death of Friedrich III. According to the Reinhardsbrunn Chronicle he was murdered by the orders of his rival for power, wealth and influence – count Ludwig of Thuringia. After his brief imprisonment Ludwig has wed Friedrich's wife Adelheid, who, in atonement of her sins, donated the residence and the land around it to the order of St. Bernard.
The Nunnery of Zscheiplitz was dissolved in 1540-s, with the death of its last inhabitant. The village and the estate became the property of prince Moritz of Saxony who created Zscheiplitz Manor to be owned exclusively by the nobility of the land.
Napoleon Bonaparte's army only had a minor impact on Zscheiplitz. In October 1813, retreating after the Battle of Nations, Napoleon positioned his artillery on the hill to cover his retreat, and, as it is told, set down to eat his lunch.

The village also remained largely untouched by the World Wars: unlike many others, the village of Zscheiplitz has no memorial to its war dead. However, the end of the WWII changed the very nature of the estate, as it was nationalised under the land reform of 1948: the so-called Agricultural Production Cooperative was formed with the main building of the manor used as a dormitory for the refugees form the East – Silesia, East Prussia, Sudetenland. More than 100 people lived in the house, which, by late 1950s housed a primary school as well. Overall, the manor was systematically plundered, vandalised and purged of its aristocratic past...
In 2008, the Hahn family, direct descendants of Burchard Duke of Swabia and Luitgard of Saxony, daughter of Count Liudolf, acquired the ruins of the manor house at an auction.

Since we moved into the Zscheiplitz manor house in summer 2011, we have thoroughly renovated the house and garden of the former monastery over the course of the last few years.
In 2016 the Zscheiplitz Monastery project was initiated, with the aim at creating a local cultural centre with a library, a small, non-denominational chapel and a family museum. Currently, apart form the permanent display of architectural elements and family art collection we host up to 4 art exhibitions per year. Since 2016 Kloster Zscheiplitz is a member of the German Museum Union, full member of the international Future for Religious Heritage network, and a member of the Klosterland community.
For us, Heritage means opening up the region to the future, sharing our history – an essencial part of the European cultural heritage – with the rest of the world. Visit us whenever you can: All common European languages are spoken here.
Made on