Kloster Zscheiplitz
Family Museum
The KZFM is founded in 2014 by the von Hahn family with the purpose of preserving and disseminating the Hahn family heritage and the historical, social, and cultural heritage of the Zscheiplitz Monastery.
Kloster Zscheiplitz
Family Museum
The Museum is created in order to conduct systematic research into and the display of artefacts and objects related to the early history of the site, the residence of the Count Palatine of Saxony, as well as elements of the early gothic and renaissance building periods.
Kloster Zscheiplitz
Family Museum
The Museum employs no staff and is maintained and served by the members of the Hahn family, who conduct guided tours, curate and assemble exhibitions, perform conservation work, maintain the website, write and design information materials, perform research.
Something special for a discerning
eye and a sophisticated

Welcome to the Club!

The Palatine Wine Club offers selection from the best, family-owned vineyards of the Saale-Ustrut region. Delivered to you monthly from the one thousand years old cellars of Kloster Zscheiplitz!
Zscheiplitz began its life as a small Slavonic settlement on top of the hill overlooking the river valley – some time in the 7-9th century AD.
Subjugated by the Frankish military might, it became a residence of the Imperial palatine count Friedrich of Saxony. In 1041 he built his Weissenburg residence here.

In 1085 Friedrich's widow Adelheid donated the estate to the church. In 1089 Zscheiplitz became the Benedictine monastery. Saint Martin of Tour was its patron saint; the church, dedicated to him was erected soon thereafter and is the oldest one in the region of Unstrut valley.

After the Reformation and subsequent dissolution of the monastery in the mid 16th century the estate passed to the hands of private owners. Fields and forests, churches, vineyards and mills – all together the property formed a unique socio-economic universum, preserved despite political turbulence and wars.

Napoleon was an unwelcome guest here in October 1813, turning Zscheiplitz into a fortified artillery position in support of his retreating armies. Perhaps the biggest challenge to the village since the times of marauding Magyars in the 10th century was the neglect and disrepair of the Communist times. Deprived of any sort of repair over the period of more than fifty years it became almost totally ruined, with hollowed roofs, crumbling plaster and declining population. With virtually no one willing to take the responsibility for its future the castle was in danger of disappearing from the map of cultural and architectural heritage altogether.

10 th.B.C. 900 A.D.
920 A.D. 1085 A.D.
1085 A.D. 1560 A.D.
Archeological data shows, that the first human settlement appeared here in late Neolith, some 10 thousand years ago.
In early 9th century the first wave of the Frankish colonisation has reached Unstrut – by then a Slavonic land, inhabited by peoples with cultural, ethnic and genetic identity similar to that of today's Sorbs and Czechs.

Zscheiplitz was destined to become a central point of Frankish expansion in the area East of Thuringia. Sometime in early 10th century it became a place of permanent residence of the family, which ruled the area on behalf of German Kings and Holy Roman Emperors of the Ottoman dynasty – the counts of Goseck, Counts Palatine of Saxony, a cadet branch of the Wettin dynasty.
Named Weissenburg – White Fortress – the residence remained in the hands of the Goseck family until the death of Friedrich III. According to the Reinhardsbrunn Chronicle he was murdered by the orders of his rival for power, wealth and influence – count Ludwig of Thuringia. After his brief imprisonment Ludwig has wed Friedrich's wife Adelheid, who, in atonement of her sins, donated the residence and the land around it to the order of St. Bernard.
1945 A.D. 2008 A.D.
1560 A.D. 1945 A.D.
The ruins of the manor was acquired by the von Hahn family, direct descendants of count Burchard I von Goseck through maternal line and thus related to both Count Palatine Friedrich III and count Ludwig of Thuringia.
2008 A.D. 2021 A.D.
Before the land reform of 1949 the manor was owned by the Bila family, then, collectively, by 12 refugee families from the eastern parts of Germany.
By early 2000s the manor was on the brink catastrophe having lost two of its five roofs, all of its facade-and interior decorations, ovens and fire places, with dilapidated electric cabling, broken water pipes, rotten floors, broken windows and doors.

The Nunnery of Zscheiplitz was dissolved in 1540-s, with the death of its last inhabitant. The village and the estate became a property of prince Moritz of Saxony who created Zscheiplitz Manor to be owned exclusively by the nobility of the land (RITTERGUT). Only slightly affected by the retreat of Napoleon of France, who positioned his artillery on Zscheiplitz hill to cover his retreat from Leipzig on October 20 1813, the village was almost untouched by the 20-s century two world wars.

from the history of the castle
Zscheiplitz, Manor of wine,
jewelry, history, and Hamlet…
At Kloster Zscheiplitz we are committed to helping you to make memories that will last a lifetime. Whether it is planning your picturesque wine country wedding, scheduling a private wine testing with your friends and family, or booking your corporate event at a location that can accommodate up to fifty people, Kloster Zscheiplitz is the perfect location for you.
Welcome, or you are welcome!
Continuing our conversation about summer vacations and vacations - a page on our website about routes and tours in Germany and neighboring countries. For a day, two, and - who will not resist the pressure of our architectural, wine and other delights - for the rest of their lives. For prices, accommodation and any other information, please write in a personal message.
Kloster Zscheiplitz is a family-owned residence, garden, art & event, and contemplation centre. All events, exhibitions, seminars, lectures, etc. are conducted and financed privately. We receive no government/ state support. Your gift will allow us to carry our work further, reach wider auditorium and to guarantee the future of a thousand-year old historical and architectural monument.
This type of service allows users to view and interact with content hosted on external platforms directly through this website.
If such a service is installed, it may collect traffic data for the pages on which it is installed even if users do not use it.
Kloster Zscheiplitz 2008-2020

Europe's oldest aristocratic residence
Call: +49 176 31589629
Send: Kloster Zscheiplitz Auf dem
Gut 5 06632 Zscheiplitz Germany


Frühjahrsausstellung: "Warum weinst du?"

§"Ich beginne ein Bild nicht, wenn ich bereits eine fertige Vorstellung habe, ich beginne, wenn ich unruhig bin über eine Sache, wenn ein Gedanke mich ruft, wenn ich von irgendetwas berührt bin, wenn irgendeine Situation mich trifft, bewegt, berührt." M. Sigmunda May

"Während viele Künstler heute nur noch das Chaos darstellen, das sie innerlich und äußerlich erleben, macht Sr. Sigmunda das Gegenteil. Jedes Bild vermittelt eine personale Erfahrung durch die Begegnung mit Gott und den Menschen, in die der Betrachter mit hineingenommen wird." (Sr. Christina Mülling)

Im Holzschnitt stellte die Franziskanerin M. Sigmunda May dar, was sie am Wort Gottes zutiefst berührt und in Situationen ihres Lebens und geistlichen Weges bewegt hat. Vielen Menschen sind ihre Schwarz-Weiß-Holzschnitte zu Wegbegleitern geworden.

SIGMUNDA MAY 1937 — 2017

1937 geb. in Dalkingen, Kreis Aalen
1949−1955 Besuch der Realschule St. Gertrudis
1958 Abitur am Gymnasium St. Agnes, Stuttgart
1958 Eintritt in die Kongregation der Franziskanerinnen von Sießen
1962 Staatsexamen in Geographie, TH Stuttgart
1966 Staatsexamen in Kunsterziehung, Kunstakademie Stuttgart
1969−2002 Kunsterzieherin am Mädchengymnasium St. Agnes in Stuttgart
2002 freischaffende Künstlerin im Kloster Sießen

Künstlerisches Wirken
seit 1968 Chorgestaltungen, z.B. St. Ludwig, Schwäbisch Gmünd; St. Elisabeth, Friedrichshafen; St. Andreas, Gerlingen
1974 Glasfenstergestaltung St. Gertrudis, Ellwangen
seit 1973 zahlreiche Holzschnittfolgen

u. a. Katholikentag Berlin, Kongresszentrum; Kath. Akademie, Stuttgart-Hohenheim; Evang. Akademie, Löwenstein; Bildungshaus Batschuns, Österreich; Kunstverein Geislingen; Benois Museum,
St. Petersburg/Russland; Theol. Hochschule Benediktbeuren; Museum am Mühltor, Isny; Ökumen. Gemeindezentrum, Tamm; Sonnenhof, Schwäbisch Hall
Die Ausstellung ist vom 1. April bis 1. Juli 2022 an jedem Wochenende von 10 bis 18 Uhr im Kunstzentrum Kloster Zscheiplitz, Auf dem Gut 6, 6 632 Freyburg, zu sehen.

Neben den hochwertigen und großformatigen Originaldrucken der Holzschnitte von Schwester M. Sigmunda May, die je nach Bestand ebenfalls käuflich erworben werden können, bieten wir zehn Holzschnitte als Fine Art Prints an.

Das Kloster Sießen ist ein Kloster im Bad Saulgauer Ortsteil Sießen im Landkreis Sigmaringen in Baden-Württemberg.

Im Jahr 1251 schenkte Ritter Steinmar von Sießen-Strahlegg dem Konvent der Schwestern von "Sulegen" sein Stadthaus in der Saulgauer Bogengasse 15. 1260 schenkte er den Dominikanerinnen von "Sulgay" seinen Hof in "Süessen" und das Patronatsrecht der dortigen Kirche.

1632/34 wurde das Kloster von Schweden geplündert und in Brand gesetzt.

1716/22 wurden von dem Vorarlberger Baumeister Franz Beer von Au die Klostergebäude im Stil des Barock neu erbaut.

Seit 1860 werden die Gebäude als Kloster der Franziskanerinnen von Sießen genutzt.
Made on